It’s not news to you that the public expect things —
- Roads to be maintained . . .
- Restaurants not to make them sick . . .
- Water to be safe to drink . . .
- Schools to educate kids . . .
- First responders to aid in emergencies . . .
But — did you realize, that INCLUDES stakeholders with “anti-government” attitudes?
- They too expect these things (and MUCH more) from government — which is YOU.
Know the secret to unwinding this paradox?
How do you get those who profess to HATE government — who make calls for a smaller and “more competent” government, for blanket cuts to organizations and regulation — to realize the don’t really mean what they say? That they need government agencies like yours, just as much as anyone…?
One way is through your Citizen Participation.
- Beware, that does NOT mean more public involvement.
- It means doing your outreach in a strategic way — aimed to diffuse anti-government sentiments so they realize the paradox themselves.
Your Citizen Participation has to create a paradigm shift in the minds of anti-government stakeholders.
- Chances are, your current Citizen Participation is actually exacerbating this paradox.
While this is no small task, it’s entirely doable!
In Clinic #77, we help you see how to create Citizen Participation that diffuses such hatred, and illuminates the true expectations and needs of these anti-government stakeholders.
During this clinic, we cover
- How you set up a room can contribute to the “Us vs. Them” misperception your public has
- FOIA requests — are you triggering them? How do you respond when your receive one?
- Chances are, at least some — if not all — of your Citizen Participation is well intentioned, but wrong-headed.
- Are you inviting the public’s input, when there’s no room in the technical process for it?
- Do you expect your public to buy your solution before you’ve sold the problem?
All of our training, including these monthly clinics, are aimed to HELP YOU . . .
Don’t buy into the rhetoric that
- there’s nothing you can do about anti-government attitudes
- there’s nothing you can do about “politics”
- changing opponents’ minds
None of that is true!
It isn’t easy, but PREVENTING and HEALING Anti-Government attitudes is entirely doable.
For 45-minutes, turn off your phone and close your email so you don’t miss out on how YOU CAN DO THIS.