Imagine: not only having the know-how, the training and expertise it takes to tackle the mission the public gave you, but the political savvy too.
Picture yourself: able to implement your most important (and controversial) work without making any concessions on your technical work.
Imagine: NOT having your best work put on the shelf because it’s “just too controversial,” or being torpedoed by NIMBY or NIMTOO (Not In My Term Of Office) opposition, or even by budget constraints.
Too good to be true?
Not in our experience.
This is a reality for the 30,000 – 40,000 professionals (just like you) we’ve trained.
WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM?
So why can some public-sector professionals implement their work while you and your colleagues hardly tread water?
- Their public is NO more warm and fuzzy than yours,
- Their Decision-Makers are NO more impressed by their competence or technical work than yours,
- Their budget restrictions and pressures to tighten up on resources is NO less than what you feel,
- Their Silent Majority is NOT any more involved than it is in your working community.
- They DON’T even do more public involvement, they DON’T hold more meetings, NOR do they rally more support.
None of the above is what sets you apart from Implementation Geniuses.
So what the heck is it?!? . . . It’s Informed Consent.
Implementations Geniuses ensure they have Informed Consent, whereas you don’t.
While working diligently on technical material, Implementation Geniuses develop Informed Consent:
- Internally, with their supervisors and subordinates,
- Externally, with supporters and Decision-Makers, but
- Especially with their work’s fiercest opponents.
Are Implementation Geniuses experts in Citizen Participation? Public Involvement? Citizen Engagement?
They DON’T do more Public Participation, they aren’t masters of holding meetings…
But they DO do it differently. Methodically. Intentionally. Systematically.
In fact, the three of us (Hans, Annemarie & Jennifer) never would have guessed we would have opted to spend our lives teaching, coaching, and mentoring folks like you on a subject we don’t care much about — Citizen Participation.
Heck, we published a best-selling text on that subject, yet we don’t find Citizen Participation in itself very interesting!
We only care about making YOU more effective.
Our “hidden agenda” is to make government work as the problem-solving entity our nation’s Founders intended it to be.
We aren’t REALLY here to teach you about Citizen Participation, or even to woo you into thinking Informed Consent is in itself all that amazing.
Our sole purpose is to help YOU get the job done. Solve problems. Address opportunities.
We are here to help you fulfill the (legitimate and important) mission the public gave you.
With our approach, you can go from shelf to shovel.
WHY ALL THE TALK ABOUT CITIZEN PARTICIPATION?
Citizen Participation is the vehicle to get from here (frustrated, torpedoed, shelved) to there (implemented, mission fulfilled, problem solved).
To be focused on the tool itself, as are many others who offer training in Citizen Participation or Public Participation, isn’t the end of the world . . .
It just isn’t what is important or interesting to us.
We’d rather spend our time and our lives helping you SOLVE PROBLEMS and accomplish your mission.
Think of it this way:
- If there’s something seriously wrong with your car, you want your mechanic to use the right tool to fix the problem.
- Not just grab his favorite wrench and start grinding away without first identifying what’s wrong.
- If you have a mysterious ailment with serious symptoms, you need your doctor to focus on making you healthy, rather than prematurely grabbing a medication that may or may not resolve the underlying illness.
- If she sends you off for radiation treatment because there’s a new regime that has proven to be really successful with certain cancers, that doesn’t mean it’s the right solution for you.
- If you have a piano that needs tuning and the repairman shows up with only a hammer, but he’s really skilled at using that hammer, you’d be wise to keep him from touching your piano.
- Similarly, if the public doesn’t understand what you’re doing, why you’re doing it, or why you’re making the recommendations you do — then you have symptoms that something is broken in your relationship with your public.
But without further diagnosis work, it’s not clear if it’s a matter of:
- Alternative agendas by some stakeholders
- Political angling, or
- Something entirely different
FROM SHELF TO SHOVEL
We help you diagnose what’s REALLY wrong before you go grab a tool, an instrument, or a Public Participation technique.
If you misdiagnose what’s wrong, how can you remedy it?
Once you know what’s broken in your relationship with your public, THEN you can select the most suitable, more effective Citizen Participation tool to fix it.
That’s why we aren’t necessarily fans of Public Participation in of itself.
It’s a means to an end. . . Getting the job done.
Get your most important work off the shelf and into the community.
Use our Consent-Building methodology to solve the problems your public needs you to solve.