The Key Differences Between Private & Public Sector Work
There are so many aspects that make your public service work different from private-sector work. Some differences are obvious. While the most significant are not.
Even if you’ve had experience in both the public and the private-sector, chances are you haven’t fully wrapped your head around THE fundamental difference between the two.
But the differences are crucial to understand.
Why is this important?
- Without a thorough awareness of what separates the two types of work, you’ll lack the ability to articulate WHY your organization is the best entity to do the work you do.
- When there’s so much talk about turning everything over to the private-sector, you need to understand when this does and does NOT make sense.
- More importantly, you need to get the public you serve — as well as political appointees — to come to that same conclusion.
Otherwise, 5-10 years from now, they’ll just reinvent you all over again… Meanwhile, your work and its solutions sit on a shelf, gathering dust
Get Off On The Right Foot
This year, we’re making sure your year is off to a good start, by taking a close look at the critical differences between your public-sector work and the exact same technical work in the private-sector.
- Two differences have to do with accountability and choices.
When you’re working for a corporation, stockholders can sell their shares if they conclude you’re management methods don’t align with their values and perceptions.
Not so in the public-sector.There, the public is stuck with you!To add salt to the wound, the funding comes from taxpayers’ dollars. So not only can’t they sell their share of the “company,” they are forced to keep paying for your work.
- Public professionals don’t have it easy either!
The edge isn’t just felt by the public, particularly when it comes to accountability…
Because in the private-sector, you only need to please the owner, or the board.Whereas you have the difficult task of pleasing a diverse and diametrically different public, that is almost guaranteed NOT to agree.
And while these are fundamental to the differences between public and private work, there is a difference even bigger than these…!
Any guess what it is?!?
Here’s where you can find out. Click to get access to our Consent-Building Library.